Pregnancy Massage can be of enormous benefit not only to the Mother but also to the unborn baby. Massage during pregnancy can be a magical experience. It emotionally and physiologically supports a woman during a time when her body is undergoing many changes and can help prepare her body for birth.
Pregnancy is a wonderful time for a woman, but with the joys of a new baby's development, comes many changes to the mothers' body putting pressure on joints, ligaments and organs, often causing discomfort and pain. There is ample evidence which supports the tremendous benefits of pregnancy massage. It can help alleviate aches and pains and other common health problems associated with pregnancy.
Preparing for the arrival of a new baby brings much excitement but also plenty of stress, massage can help to reduce stress levels due to its calming effect. Furthermore, research shows that the baby can benefit greatly from massage as 'feel good' endorphins are released by the mother during massage are passed onto the baby.
Receiving regular massage whilst pregnant can make the mother more aware of her own body. This can help with the ability to relax during the first stage of labour often resulting in shorter and easier births, less pain and a lower rate of postnatal complications (e.g. fewer premature births). Furthermore it can lead to increased breast feeding success due to the increased prolactin and mammary development.
Here is a Summary of Benefits of Massage in Pregnancy -
- Stimulation of the circulation - this will distribute essential nutrients and fluid to all the vital organs of the body, especially the placenta, which will feed and aid the development of the baby.
- Lymphatic Drainage will eliminate toxins from the cells and blood and help reduce edema, which can be a contributory factor in carpal tunnel and tarsal tunnel syndrome.
- Sluggish bowel movement is aided, helping to avoid constipation and haemorrhoids.
- Releases muscular tension of the upper back, shoulders, lower back and hips, easing the discomfort of sciatica, prolapsed discs and Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SP), often caused by postural change and hormone release.
- Releases compression on the nerves caused by muscle tension or edema.
- Helps to avoid varicose veins from developing.
- Massaging the intercostals and pectoral muscles will help the respiratory system and aid breathing during the pregnancy and birth.
- Induces deep relaxation and peaceful sleep (it is reported that women who sleep well during the last month of pregnancy have shorter labours).
- Helps to reduce emotional stress, anxiety and creates a sense of well-being.
- Helps to lower or keep high blood pressure balanced.
- Massage encourages the release of oxytocin. This is a pain reducing hormone providing vital relief of pain during labour and birth.
- A stress-free environment is created, in combination with the mother's healthy diet and lifestyle, in which the baby can peacefully and lovingly grow.
I’ve never had a treatment which made me simultaneously relax, laugh and cry, but Stephanie ended up life coaching me while she worked on my massage. It felt wonderful and she was so kind and helpful to talk to. She helped me get perspective on some issues in my life and I left feeling physically and emotionally better. Slept so well afterwards and now feel really calm which is exactly what I was hoping for. Wonderful.
- Harriet (Graphic Designer)
What an experience! I've been lucky enough to have many massages in my life. But none like the massages I experience with Steph. Frequent user is an understatement... Ideal for personalising the massage that you need! To really tackle problem areas or simply relax and rewind and everything in between. Lovely, thank you for your services and humanising your services. Simply fabulous and excellent value for money.
- Kriss (Charity Volunteer Co-ordinator)
The treatment was relaxing and pain relieving with optimal pressure. Steph used a variety of manual therapy techniques which helped to reduce muscle spasm and tension throughout my body. Steph has a calming aura and the treatment is within in a relaxing atmosphere to make you feel at ease and unwind from the stresses of daily life. After the treatment I had increased neck and shoulder range of movement and I can now look over my right shoulder which I had not been able to do for 2-3 years due to soft tissue restriction. I felt a huge release post treatment and my body felt fully relaxed and also increased ability to sleep since my treatment. I would highly recommend Steph for musculoskeletal body work for reducing pain, stiffness and enhancing relaxation for the mind, body and soul.
- Rory (Equine Physiotherapist)
I took my young daughter to see Stephanie for a Lymphatic Drainage Massage as she has been struggling with her health and Stephanie was amazing! She really made my daughter feel comfortable and at ease and was very informative during each step of the process. I would highly recommend Stephanie and we will certainly be booking with her again in the future.
- Adele (Full-time mum)
The environment that Stephanie has created for her sessions is beautiful, it compliments her style of practice. I really felt like she had healing hands immediately and was very knowledgeable. She clearly understands and is passionate about many facets of what good makes a great massage and healing session. I go regularly as it adds to keep me at my best.
- Robin (Chiropractor)
I would highly recommend Steph. She treated my back with various different manual therapy techniques which reduced the muscle spasm and sciatic pain I had from a fall allowing me to be able to move pain free and ride my horse afterwards. A relaxing environment to also be treated in. Thank you Steph!
- Hannah (NHS Physiotherapist)